Saturday, September 15, 2012

that's got some burn!

Occasionally I find a new recipe to try that is immensely satisfying.
I found one such recipe at Macey's meat counter as I happened to be walking by.
It was last night's dinner and is from Pork: Be Inspired.

(Our results:  Paul & I thought it absolutely delicious.
He didn't leave any leftovers.
The kids ate a lot more than I thought they would but certainly didn't devour it as their favorite!
No one noticed the greek yogurt switch and Parker enjoyed the slaw with lots of added lime to mask the cilantro taste.
Parker's first response was:  "that's got some burn!"
Dallin & Kyralyn echoed this by commenting on its spice).
  
Pulled Pork Tostadas with Slaw & Chipotle Cream

 Chili Rub Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
3lb (ish) pork roast (I think mine was a shoulder roast, could also use a sirloin roast)
2 T chili powder
1 ½ tsp salt
½ tsp cayenne powder
1 T canola oil
½ C chicken broth

I just mixed all the ingredients together, forked holes all over the roast & poured the seasoning/broth mix over the roast in the slow cooker.
Slow Cook it…low or high…till you’re ready to use it & it pulls apart easily
I shredded mine about an hour before we ate it, just left it in the cooker on warm until serving time.

The rest:
4 limes
2 T canola oil
8 c shredded cabbage or a bag of slaw mix
¾ C coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ red onion, finely sliced
1 C sour cream (I used plain Greek yogurt)
½ can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and finely minced
Tostadas (flat, crisped corn tortillas)
Garnish:  2 tomatoes, more limes and radishes

Directions:
Halve and squeeze 2 limes.  Mix the juice with the oil for a dressing.  Toss this dressing with the slaw, chopped cilantro and red onion.

Mix cream or yogurt with the chipotle pepper.

Serve:  Tostada, pork, slaw, cream
And Enjoy.
(I liked putting the extra lime on top with tomatoes & radishes)
(oh yeah, and the corn tortillas…I cooked some in oil to crisp them up…didn’t work so well.  If you can do that and get them really crispy I’d like to know how, otherwise, if you want a “crispy” bottom maybe buy the premade tostadas.)




2 comments:

Haley said...

Oh how I miss Macey's!!!!

Haley said...

Oh how miss Macey's!! I need me a good case lot sale right about now!!