Sunday, July 29, 2012

it's empty

 For the past 4 years this bag has been my constant companion at church on Sundays and has been given a prime resting spot in the kitchen when I wasn't using it almost daily.
But now it sits empty, in the closet.

Dr. Suess said, "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
But I think a few tears are ok, if the smiles are long & deep.

Update:  I was officially released in sacrament meeting today and was asked to bear my testimony.  I wasn't sure how emotional I'd be in this moment so I wrote down a few thoughts.
"Relief Society is so much more than a visit, a meal or a lesson.
Heavenly Father has given us as women the strong ability to nurture.
Then He created Relief Society for us to be able to use this nurturing ability with His power here on Earth.
I am thankful for the Priesthood and its' essential role in our lives as women.
Relief Society is dinner from a loving neighbor who barely knows you, it's a visit on a challenging day that uplifts your soul, it's forgiveness of someone who has judged you harshly, it's sitting with a friend and crying together over lost children (even when they didn't know they were lost), it's cleaning a neighbor's home while she can't, it's finding strength and answers in the scriptures, it's oohing and aahing together over your brand new baby, it's knowing that there are at least two people out there who love you and give a piece of their time to getting to know you, it's laughing together with strangers who are at the end of their lives, it's being uplifted spiritually as you discuss faithful women who've follwed the prophet to come to know the Savior, it's tripping over beautifully wrapped Christmas presents given anonymously and lovingly for people in need, it's delivering boxes of food on a snowy night with a note of love and well-wishes at Thanksgiving, it's so many other things, and it's standing in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.
As we choose to participate in Relief Society we find the value and variety that is God's creation for us.
The past 4 years have given me the opportunity to be with the sisters of Relief Society.
I have had the opportunity to become intimately acquainted with the Savior through the Holy Ghost as we've sought direction for callings and assignments but also for your needs to be met.  I have had an amazing ride with incredible and faithful counselors and a secretary (Sarah, Ashley, & Joan, & before them Christie & Rachel) who have continuously been a strength and support for me and many of you who have served in callings to support Relief Society.
I'm thankful to my family who has always been supportive and encouraging.  And know that God blesses us as we serve Him.  It has been an amazing privilege to become acquainted with godliness because of you and the ways you live your lives and your efforts to serve and follow Jesus Christ.
Thank you to all of you for your love and support of me and Relief Society over the last several years.
 I know Jesus Christ is our Savior, I know that the Book of Mormon is true, I know that Joseph Smith is the Prophet who restored the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the Earth and that the Lord's guidance and direction continue today through our prophet, President Monson, and through the Holy Ghost.
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." 

No comments: