Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Grandma

Taken at Dallin's Baptism, 01/05/08
I went to visit Grandma today.

One thing I am grateful for about living where I do is that I get to visit her often 
(which really should be more.....)

Things I love about her now:

She makes a point to call me. 

She takes time to listen to my kids.

She calls again if I don't answer.

She comes to visit (at my chaotic household) if I haven't seen her in a while (thanks to Aunt Michele for being her driver, its good to see you too!).

She watches patiently as the boys (tired of the visiting) would listen to "I love you Grandma, I love you Grandma, We love you Grandma" in her Build-A-Bear bear from Natalie & Kim. 

She plays Rummikub.

Seriously.

She gives me hugs.  

(Something I didn't always appreciate as a kid!)

She tells me I'm beautiful.

(Always liked that one!)

Things I'm learning about her:

She is from Menan.

She was called Magpie.

After 5 girls, 4 boys & 4 1/2 years she came along.

She got packages instead of Cecil.  

He didn't like that too much, especially when something was "tucked" in the box for him.  Like a handkerchief...
"D--- handkerchief!"  he said.

She was a good baseball player; "pitch, catch & 1st base".

She played on teams with the boys. 

She wore uniforms for 26 months & when she got back she "went crazy" spending money on new clothes.

Her brother wouldn't have anything to do with her because she was in pants.  He got over it.

As a child, the only "boy" clothes she ever got to wear was her brothers' long sleeved shirts while picking raspberries.

She wanted "daytime pajamas" because all the girls were wearing them, but mother said no!

During a nostalgic trip back home with Grandpa she had an awful surprise & stormed into her nephew's home without even knocking (a first - ever - for her).  The land where potatoes & sugar beets had once grown was sold to the church & a Stake Center had been built.  After a good scare, they all had a good laugh.  (She seems to take solace in knowing that the residents of her hometown didn't have to travel to Rigby for Stake meetings anymore.)

She left high school early.  Later, while living in Utah, it became very important to her that she "finish."  She worked hard taking classes & received her Certificate in the mail.  Her sister, at a graduation ceremony for her own son at the new high school in Ogden, heard Grandma's name announced as a graduate that year.

She went to the Utah Agricultural College in Logan for a time.

She met Grandpa while working on the switchboard at the Church Office Building.

I wish I had turned my recorder on.  

Maybe next time.

No comments: