Friday, November 4, 2011

Bear Lake

Bear Lake, 8/19/11 (Thanks Kyralyn for the picture)
 Back in August our family packed up and headed north to Bear Lake.  
I remember camping here as a kid on a few different occasions.  We know many people who come here often.  We've lived in this great state for a long time but until now, hadn't been up to this place.  

8/19/11, Evening
I shared with my kids things I'd remembered about camping here.  
Like being so close to the shore it felt like we had the lake all to ourselves.  
Like having wide, sandy beaches to play on.  
Like eating raspberry milkshakes.  
Like riding these big huge tricycle things in the water.  
Like being together.  

Silhouette: Together
 It's a beautiful drive into the lake.  We checked into our campsite and began unloading.  We were right next to the shore.  We all went to check out the lake before setting up camp.  


Our friends who had been there a few weeks before warned us that the water level was high this year and that they had been swimming in reeds.  On our way up I was reading about the current conditions but nothing can prepare you for the real thing.  

10 feet higher than normal is significant!  
(So is the difference in perspective from child to adult).  

There was not much beach, and what there was, was only mildly sandy.  Good thing we brought our water shoes!  


The water was high.  

And the swimming area was full of reeds.  

 I've played enough in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Oregon not to be bothered by long, slimy things wrapping around my ankles and legs but I could always get it away from me.  

Our swimming spot at Rendevouz Beach wrapped us in reeds.  When we pulled one away, there was another one waiting to tap us on the shoulder or wrap around our legs.  

I was trying to get a "legs in the air" photo (like Parker up there).  Instead we had a good laugh.
 Before we got wet we began setting up camp.  
 Here is where the real adventure begins.  
Guess what we forgot to pack?  
The tent poles!  

We could just sleep on top of the tent I suggested.  

(Yeah, brilliant idea, especially when morning came.)

Paul decided we'd better have shelter against the bugs when the sun went down and any possible inclement weather.  

He channeled his inner Macgyver 
(or maybe his Eagle Scout) 
and rigged us up a shelter. 


After lots of laughing, Parker getting stuck in the tree, a little bit of frustration and some exasperation, the swimming suits went on and we jumped in the lake.

Ok, everyone but me.  

I kind of tip-toed in.  

But it was later in the day and the sun was out.  The water was cool but I knew that after being in for a bit I'd adjust.  I got part way in and to everyone's surprise, and Parker's delight, went under on purpose.  

We played, despite the reeds, for the rest of the evening.


  We took a dinner break before it got too late.  
Parker is our resident fire starter.


Then we went back for more.
We tried again.  More good laughs.





 

No comments: