Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Champions

{An inner battle:
I've just finished reading to Kyralyn (she's into Hannah Montana chapter books right now) 
and to Parker (he's interested in reading a historical fiction book on the Titanic & asked me to read the first chapter).  
Now it's my time, right?  
Maybe.  
I'm sure there is something much more important that I should be doing than playing on the computer.  
Oh wait, I'm recording important events in our lives for posterity...I suppose that's pretty important too.  
On the other hand, my message on Charity to give at the Relief Society Commemoration Celebration on Thursday isn't going to write itself.  
At least I don't think it will.  
And the Holy Ghost can only take an unprepared person so far....
Ok, maybe just a few minutes...}

Back Row:  Dallin, Carson, Jace, Luke     Front Row:  Jake, Stetson & Jordy
With Coach Thacker & Johnny,  2/27/12
 Dallin has been playing basketball this winter.

He loves it.

He plays mostly guard, sometimes post underneath.

And is, of course, #11.


As a mother-of-a-player-fan, it is fun to be in the gym and enjoy the energy of the environment.

The anxious tension that builds up in my stomach (& heart) when the boys (or just my son) are off their game, is pushed out by the excitement when they (or he) turn it around.

I have been known not to look at the scoreboard, for no other reason than to ease my stress at the possibility of a loss.

The crowd is sometimes its own show.

Especially with Crazy Dave.

Parker always had something creative to yell out while the opposing player would shoot free throws.
Whatever phrase it was would earn him a few chuckles from the parents & good laughs from other kids.
During a game in Provo, in the middle of the season, he took his cheering to another level.
He hung over the upper railing, just above the basket.
He'd watch and watch.
Then just as the player was about the release the ball, he would yell something crazy.
Usually the player would miss.
This earned him his title of Crazy Dave.
After a couple of times, the ref actually asked him to seat himself for the rest of the game!  

During the season (& from the bleachers) we have heard things like:  "Mississippi Steamer!"  or "Don't eat hairy pickles!"  or "I like Snickers!" or "That's good stuff, good stuff."  

The adults are fun to listen to sometimes, too.

The coaches & crowd.

I guess sometimes we act pretty crazy in the heat of tense moments.

Strange stuff, strange stuff.

I've enjoyed Paul's quiet bleacher commentary on the referees.  He always keeps it uplifting, evaluative & informative - in spite of bad or missed calls.

All in all, its been another good season for Dallin.

He has improved in many fundamentals, learned well how to play a completely unfamiliar position (guard), made good friends and had lots of fun (even though he did foul out with a couple of minutes left in the Championship Game against TimpView.  This was the first time he drew more than 2 fouls in a game!  Way to go for not backing down!).

A shot made, an awesome pass, a block, an assist.

Each individual giving his best.

Creating amazing energy.

The team comes together.

Congratulations, Champions; Lehi Black is #1!  Record:  12 - 1



No comments: